We are extremely saddended to hear of the passing of Old Edmundian Charles Carey who passed away on Saturday 5th November aged 85. Charles came into St Hugh’s in 1946 and transferred to Douglass in 1948. His younger brothers Patrick and Peter also attended the College.
While at St Edmund’s, Charles became a Prefect, Captain of the 2nd XV rugby team and Captain of Badminton. He was Chess Club Treasurer and Archaeological Society Secretary, and received his House half colours.
In 1955 he proceeded to study Law at Trinity College, Cambridge, and later qualified as a barrister. He was on the committee of The Edmundian Association between 1966 and 1972, and a College governor from 1982 until 1990.
In 2001, to mark the Millennium, the three Carey brothers donated the stone monument that stands in the Front Field. It forms the gnomon to an imagined sundial.
In more recent years he was a government lawyer in the Cabinet Office, working long past the normal retirement age.
Charles was a staunch supporter of Old Edmundian events, whether they be religious retreats, London Dinners or St Edmund’s Sundays. He will be greatly missed.
For anyone wishing to attend the funeral, there will be a Mass at 11:30am at the Church of the Holy Apostles, Pimlico, followed by a wake at the nearby White Ferry Pub 12.30pm - 3.30pm.
May he rest in peace.